Wait? Am I Dreaming?



On a random Tuesday afternoon I got home from work, did some kid related stuff, sat down at my beloved laptop to check my blog, go through tweets, see what's doing on facebook, you know, the regular old stuff. While at my desk, the phone rang and of course there IS NEVER A FLIPPING PHONE NEAR ME WHEN IT STARTS RINGING. As in never ever. My boys were in the basement xboxing their brains into mush, so they weren't answering it. I mumbled a few choice words and stomped through to the kitchen.

I missed the call.

I picked up the phone and saw on my phone's display that Curtis Brown Ltd. had just called me.

I said, "Huh?" And then I had a mini-inner-freak-out because why would my agent be calling me unless it was with news of some kind. My one contemporary YA book had gone out on submission a little over a month before...so...in the five seconds it took me to call the number back, about 8,765 scenarios ran through my mind.

The very nice woman answered the phone and I think I said, "HiI'mKateWaltonandIThinkSarahLaPollaJustCalledMeButIMissedTheCallBecauseThereAreNeverAnyPhonesNearMe WhenTheyRing." And then I took a breath. She took pity on me and only said, "Hold on please," and didn't make me do any more talking. I'm sure she was either smiling or shaking her head.

Anywho.

Sarah answered and said, "This is Sarah."

I said, "Sarah, it's Kate, what's up?" I'm almost sure I babbled something else after this but I have absolutely no recollection as to what I may or may not have said. I am a spaz, what can I say?

She said, "Well, we got an offer." (and let me say this here - Sarah has the best voice - she is so calm and so confident and she is the anti-me on the phone. I'm a rambler and can be a wee bit loud when I'm excited.)

I yelled out, "No way!" at the top of my lungs. (sorry about that Sarah)

"Yes, we did. And are you sitting down?"

"I'm sitting now. Oh my God, Sarah, I'm completely freaking out. But you keep talking because if you don't I'll just keep blubbering on and on. So go."

"Okay, well it's from Simon and Schuster."

"No way!" I yell again. I am nothing if not consistent with my reactions.

And then we got into the deets and I smiled and yelped and paced around the first floor of my house like a pinball. When I hung up the phone I stood at the top of my basement stairs and screamed down to my boys, "Guys, my book is going to be published!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

They flew up the stairs like three at a time and I was wrapped in a son sandwich. We did some jumping and hooting and high-fiving. It was a great moment. Then I called my husband and we cried together on the phone. Those tears represented years and years of writing, revising, querying, highs and disappointments, patience, lenience, understanding, respect and love.

Most of all love.

My husband and sons have loved me through my writing journey from word-one (you three make me happy to be alive). So have my mother (you and your never ending belief in me is nothing short of amazing) and my sisters (the 3 coolest and most supportive chicks on the planet) and my cousins (every single one of you are THE best), my in-laws (letting me finish writing my very first book in your pool house finally paid off, eh?!) friends (I'm talking to YOU Margie!), former co-workers (ETR forever!!!) -- so many people have cheered me on (Ron, Mercedes, Jewel, Marissa & Martina, Paul, Michelle, Buffy, Jill, Sarah, Elise, Jared, Nancy C, Arleen, The Australian Contingency & Dorothy) pushed me to continue (or start...Rina), read/critiqued my work (Susan, Weronika, Alex, Sandra & Christina), encouraged me through the dark spots with kind words and actions (Patty, Allison G, Jimmy), given me stellar advice (Ray, Carrie, Lisa & Laura, Authoress & her minions, Casey, Elana, Mary Kate, Evil Editor, Absolute Write peeps,YALitchat members & Georgia, Kim W & Jim).

I would be nothing without all of your love, support and encouragement. And I certainly wouldn't be announcing this news today, that's for sure.

It's always about the love in the end, right? Love makes the world go 'round. I love, love. We were put on this earth to love and love well. And I love this book and my characters. I love how incredible Sarah LaPolla has been to me (a HUGE TY to you). I love this online writing community that I am privileged to be a part of - you people all rock AND roll. I love how this is the beginning of it all...

I can't wait to see this book as a real book. I can't wait to get to know Annette from Simon Pulse. I can't wait for the whole freaking thing - start to finish.

Oh and here's the Publishers Marketplace announcement that came out on Friday:
October 29, 2010 Children's:Young Adult K.M. Walton's debut EVERYTHING'S NOT LOST, about two boys, a bully and his victim, whose very different circumstances at home have led them to become roommates in the same psych ward, to Annette Pollert at Simon Pulse, in a nice deal, by Sarah LaPolla at Curtis Brown.

WHOO-FREAKING-HOO. Put your hands in the air and wave 'em like you just don't care. Oh you fancy huh? Hell yeah, today I am!!!!!!

And I will leave you with the poetic words of one, Lil Wayne, "Life's a beach and I'm just playing in the sand."

Popular Posts