So I have a funny story....

If you're reading this blog post, thank you. Thank you for not forgetting who the heck I am. I seriously have been a crappy blog host as of late. My only excuse is...life. And if you have a pulse then you can relate to the madness that is "life."

Onto the funny.

I received a wondrous email last week. CRACKED was in official "real book" form and a print out of the book (AKA first pass pages) was in the mail to me for a final read through. I squealed.

The package arrived the next day and I ripped it open with wild abandon. More squealing. It was my book...my people...in actual book form. Copyright page, dedication page, acknowledgments page. All there. I grabbed my blue pencil and got to reading the pages.

Then my husband came home.

I ran into the kitchen clutching the pile, laid it on the counter in front of him and said, "Can you believe it? Go ahead, turn the pages. It's like a real book."

He turned the first page, smiled at me with the best smile and said, "I can't believe it." He turned the second page. "I can't believe -"

He stopped. "Oh crap! Kate, I'm bleeding!"

I was so lost in "the moment" and watching the reaction on his face that I had to look down. At my pile. My precious, precious pile.

There were two large drops of blood on the left page and then an enormous smear of blood on the right. In two seconds flat the manuscript looked like a murder scene. I quick grabbed a paper towel and dabbed up the blood. Then I quick grabbed a wet paper towel and dabbed some more. Then I quick grabbed a wet paper towel with some soap and dabbed even more.

And I ended up with this (on five of the pages). Behold the bloody manuscript:


My husband had an unknown-about-cut on his pinkie. He still feels bad. All I can do is laugh about it. He's lucky I love him so much.

Thankfully, Annette (my editor) sent me the pdf file so I could print out fresh, blood-free, crinkle-free pages before I mailed the sucker back.

Oh, and I have a cover. But it's super duper secret. And super duper awesome.

I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL I CAN SHARE IT WITH THE WORLD!!!

One final note, seriously, thank you to anyone who continues to stop by my blog, read my posts and leave comments. I am grateful.

Popular Posts