Could EMPTY Be the Next Big Thing?

Many thanks to Beth Kephart, author of the breathtaking SMALL DAMAGES, for tagging me in The Next Big Thing blog game. Below I answer questions about my next novel, titled EMPTY and then tag another writer at the end. Have a read!

What is the working title of your book? WHALE was my original title for EMPTY, which will make perfect sense when you read the book. And, drum roll please, I will be revealing EMPTY's BRAND NEW COVER here soon. Yes, EMPTY has gotten a new cover, one that will blow your mind right out of your mind. I can not wait to share it with the world. I also can't wait to share who blurbed EMPTY. Let's just say this author wrote one of my favorite reads of 2012. And the blurb, oh, the blurb.

Where did the idea come from for the book? Cyber bullying and when human beings, namely teens, flex their "online muscles" and go for the jugular. I wanted to explore the potential consequences of such evil.

What genre does your book fall under? Contemporary young adult fiction.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? I truly have no idea, which I know is the lamest answer, but it's true.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? From the flap copy: A girl tumbles into a downward spiral when a romantic encounter turns violent in this heartwrenching novel.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? About two months.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? While I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't read SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson, a few reviewers have compared EMPTY to it.

Who or What inspired you to write this book? I wanted to give a voice to a bullied and broken teen, and let the reader inside of her pain. I wanted readers to see that words matter.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? I've been told by countless readers that Dell's story stays with the him/her long after the last page is turned. That just warms any author's heart.

I've tagged my friend, and fellow writer/blogger, Kelly Lyman.

Popular Posts